birding-aus

Banded Stilts on the Central Coast

To: <>
Subject: Banded Stilts on the Central Coast
From: "Allan Morris" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:11:17 +1100
Hi Birders,

Aaron Davies asked whether the Banded Stilts were still to be seen on the Central Coast so I ventured out after 4 days of rain this afternoon and regret to say that I could not find them at the usual sites. They were not in Tuggerah Bay, off Riley St North Chittaway; nor were they at Chittaway Point off Geoffrey Rd Chittaway; nor were they in Chittaway Bay, off the East Chittaway Point Reserve located at the end of Kalua Ave Chittaway Bay; and finally not at the Lions Park Chittaway Bay either. However i will keep my eyes peeled as there are plenty of other suitable locations.
However I did here two and saw one Buff-banded Rail at Chittaway Point, and on Curly Island, off the Point there were 7 nests of Pied Stilts and at least 7 pairs of Little Egrets were nesting in the trees on the Island.

Striped Honeyeaters were calling at all four sites. In addition there are Striped Honeyeaters nesting at Lions Park, Chittaway Bay (in the grove of casuarinas near the Pond); in the foreshore reserve at Berkeley Vale near the junction of Lake Edge Ave & Kingsford Smith Drive; and in the Picnic Point car park at The Entrance and probaly elsewhere too. All nests are in casuarinas.

While Mangrove Gerygones are irregular visitors to Brisbane Water mangroves, I have had no recent reports!

Alan Morris