birding-aus

Black-faced Cormorant - and breeding Silver Gulls - in SE Melbourne

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Black-faced Cormorant - and breeding Silver Gulls - in SE Melbourne
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 12:15:13 +1100
The immature Black-faced Cormorant is still (19/11) at the far
end of the breakwater at the Middle Brighton Marina (Melway p67
A9).

And there is a Silver Gull chick on top of one of the 40 cm
diameter wooden piles around the moorings ! (and I suspect other
nest(s)).

Tried to locate the enquiry about nesting Silver Gulls in urban
Victoria on the Birding-Aus archive but failed. Perhaps someone
can tell me who was trying to track this potential problem.

Other birds in the City of Bayside this weekend: Yellow-faced
Honeyeater, Double-barred Finch (probably top-end race!),
Barbary Dove (ugh!) and a Rufous Fantail in and around my garden
for 7 hours (you beauty!).

Also there is still lots of the red dinoflaggelate (NOT algae)
Noctiluca in the shallows of the Bay.  Magical electric flashes
when you stamp in it at dusk !

Michael Norris