birding-aus

Re:Flowering Trees

To: Victoria Quinton <>
Subject: Re:Flowering Trees
From: Graham Turner <>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:48:57 +1000
G'day Victoria,
                                by the time I got around to replying to your
question, Ralph Reid
has done so in a more than adequate way. There are other books on the
topic as well. I use "Grow What where" by the Australian Plant study
Group (publiched by Nelson) and Australian Native Plants, by Wrigley and
Fagg (Reed). These are more generalised than those on Ralph's list, but
also give suitability to certain (local)conditions. The first book also
contains a list of Aust. natives that will attract butterflys.

If you are lucky enough to have a good native nursery in your area, it
makes the job a lot easier. I use my local Society for Growing
Australian Plants nursery which is a little limited, but they will order
things in.      I also visit Cranebrook Native Nursery (near Penrith, in
Western Sydney) which is the best native nursery I've seen.

I encourage anyone with the room to plant bird(anb butterfly) attracting
plants to do so, the results are always rewarding. My latest success was
a grevillea 'Robin Gordon' which is a recent addition to the garden.
Yesterday, in the pouring rain, a Red Wattlebird had this poor shrub
(about 50 cm high) bent almost double to get at the two remaining flower
heads.

Keep on planting
Graham Turner
Blaxland, Lower Blue Mtns