birding-aus

Birdline Victoria

Subject: Birdline Victoria
From: S Cooney <>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:03:41 +1100
Finally!

Victoria now has a Birdline.  As many of you may know I have been talking about and organising a Birdline for some time and after a bit of a delay, tonight we finally have it all up and running.  The phone number is 9882 2390, which is being paid for by the VicGroup of Birds Australia, and the answering machine, kindly (if not somewhat slowly) donated by Panasonic, is ready for your calls.  I have also just completed a website that will have the updates posted on it weekly.  It can be found at http://home.iprimus.com.au/scooney/index.htm.

I guess most people know what a Birdline is and does, but if you don't, here is a quick pracey.  Birdline is a service for reporting and finding rare bird sightings in Victoria.  It operates by having an answering machine receiving incoming reports of rare or unusual sightings of birds from the public.  These reports are compiled on a weekly basis and then provided to the bird-watching community for their use.  This will be done primarily through the outgoing message on Birdline that callers hear when they ring Birdline, but will also be posted on the website and will also be used for the Victorian Bird Report.

I welcome any comments about the service as you find it and look forward to lots of contributions from all the Victorian Bird Watchers and all the Bird Watchers visiting Victoria.

Regards,

Stuart