birding-aus

Black Bittern at Mitchell Park, near Sydney, NSW

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Black Bittern at Mitchell Park, near Sydney, NSW
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 06:31:05 +1100
At Mitchell Park, west of Sydney, NSW yesterday we saw the Black Bittern fly
by us and perch and call for about half an hour. I haven't a lot of
experience with this bird but the tone of the yellow on the side of the neck
made us think it may have been a female bird we were watching.
As we drove down to the long river flat there are two picnic tables. We
stood along the clearing of the river in front of the most northerly one.
(S33 33 39.1 E150 55 27.7)

At Wheeney Creek Picnic area on Comleroy Road Upper Colo, we saw a pair of
Gang Gangs nesting in a tall Blue Gum.  We stood on the lawn about 100metres
before the toilet block and looked across the road into the middle tree of
about 5 blue gums and near the top were two big spouts.  It was in the top
most one.

Trevor & Annie Quested

Sydney,  Australia