birding-aus

Eucalypt Flowers

To: <>
Subject: Eucalypt Flowers
From: "Jill Dark" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 04:41:23 +1100
Hi All,
I would agree with Andy and Reg that Angophora costata attracts few honeyeaters.
Here, at Hazelbrook in the Blue Mountains, one of the best flowering trees is the local stringybark, Eucalyptus oblonga.  The flowers are inconspicuous and often it is only the birds that alert me to the fact that it is in flower.  The smaller honeyeaters, yellow-faced, brown-headed, eastern spinebills, etc. seem to like it and it is usually in the stringys that I find the more uncommon (for us) honeyeaters such as scarlet, yellow-tufted, and once, just once, a couple of regents.  This was after the 1994 bushfires when food was scarce.

Jill