birding-aus

Birdos compilation album

Subject: Birdos compilation album
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:28:31 EST
After seeing the usual "bird songs" appear in response to this I had a quick look through my album collection and came up with the following (I am certain I could find more if I had a good hard look).

Songs with birds in the title:
"Woodpecker from Mars" Faith No More (from album Faith No More?)

"Birdhouse in your Soul" They Might Be Giants (Flood)

"Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons" the Pixies (Trompe Le Monde) (the Pixies also sing songs titled "Caribou" and "Manta Ray" so I think Frank Black has a biology streak as well as being obsessed with aliens)

"Roadrunner" Sex Pistols (Never Mind the ...)(a cover, but I don't know the original)

"I am the Owl" the Dead Kennedys (Plastic Surgery Disaster) (They also released another song on Bedtime for Democracy but that involves swearing in the title so I will skip it, though it also has Chicken)

"Tiny Wounded Bird" Severed Heads (Gigapus)

"Guns don't kill ducklings (Ducklings kill Ducklings)" Frenzal Rhomb (Meet the Family)

Songs with bird calls included:
"Little Fluffy Clouds" the Orb (Adventure's Beyond the Ultraworld) starts off with a rooster crowing (also in one of the songs on the second album). Also european meadow birds (larks/pipits/etc.) call in "Outlands" as well (I think)

"Sheep" Pink Floyd (Animals) also has meadowy birds calling in the background

"Drugs" (hope that doesn't cause me to bounce) Talking Heads (Fear of Music) has Rainbow Lorikeets recorded at Lone Pine Sanctuary in Brisbane at the start.

"Stop the Rock" Appollo 440 (Getting High on your Own Supply) A friend of mine swears they sampled a crow in this song (I have to watch the Mars add which features this song again to see whether this is featured)

Bands with bird names:
The Swans ("Love of Life" was one of my favourite songs at Uni)
The Muttonbirds (from New Zealand of course)
The Testeagles (from Adelaide though somehow I think they are using a word play rather than the bird name)

Cheers,
Peter