birding-aus

Migratory waders.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Migratory waders.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 10:41:11 +1100
Hi All.

Recent postings on Birding-aus had led me to believe that wader numbers were down this year, however a visit yesterday to Penrhyn Rd. boat ramp on the north shore of Botany Bay in Sydney tended to disprove this.I counted 135 Bar-tailed Godwits, about 40 Curlew Sandpipers, 25+ Red-necked Stints, 26 Pacific Golden Plovers and 9 Red Knots. Amongst the other suspects--- gulls, Crested Terns, pelicans, cormorants etc.--- were 2 Common Terns, 3 Little Terns, 2 Black-winged Stilts and a Pied Oystercatcher.

A visit to nearby Henry Head in Botany Bay National Park produced 2 sub adult Pacific Gulls, 2 Ruddy Turnstones and 2 Sooty Oystercatchers amongst the Silver Gulls, Crested Terns and 4 cormorant species, all on one rock shelf. A Bar -shouldered Dove and European Blackbird were singing in the heath.

I can confirm what Rod Gardner said about the destruction of the small wetland on the north flank of the rifle range at Maroubra, there was about 8 or so large pieces of earth moving equipment plus trucks hard at work, they have even built a fenced equipment compound and look like they are building a road from the rifle range down to the shoreline. What Rod did not mention was the new [at least to me !] addition of several Commonwealth notices warning of horrendous [you would cop less for treason !] fines for trespassing on or environmental damage to commonwealth property. It looks like something big is going on here, it wouldn't surprise me to one day to see a housing estate or a resort on the old rifle range.

A bit of good news and a bit of bad news--that's how it goes these days.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd.
Frenchs Forest.   N.S.W.   2086.