birding-aus

sooty owl

To: "birding -aus" <>
Subject: sooty owl
From: "KEITH BRANDWOOD" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:50:42 -0000
hi every one,
after getting our heads down for
3hrs on saturday night after the first
8.5hrs of the twitchathon we poked
our heads out of the landcruiser and
heard two young sooty owls calling.
we crept in the dark to the tree where
one of them was calling and as we
came within a metre of the base of the
tree we looked up to see the owl drop
verticaly out of this 30metre tree with its
wings in a acute vee above its head
and land on a branch 6metres above
our heads, I will never forget it and what
a bird to start the day with. I believe the
bird was attracted by the noise we made
as we crept towards the tree in the dark
thinking it was prey on the forest floor.
see what you missed Edwin and you also
missed being on the winning team with
a score of 203 species.
anyone else got a twitchathon story.