birding-aus

flagged terns (more info)

To: Amytornis <>
Subject: flagged terns (more info)
From: Anna Lashko <>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:43:30 +1000
Perhaps I should have provided some background info with my earlier posting about keeping a lookout for green leg-flagged roseate and black-naped terns..

What we (myself and QPWS) are trying to work out is

a) where the breeding colonies of these non-breeders in the Swains are

and.

b) whether the non-breeding aggregations consist of birds from a number of different breeding islands or regions, or are they all from the same breeding location

My research is using genetic methods to address this, but obviously band (or flag) recoveries provide valuable additional information.

Amytornis said

Its just that its a fair bet that if the sea weed banks above the high water mark were searched several hundred meters either side of where these birds were trapped
most of the marked birds would have been located within 48 hours of being released.

Yes, it is quite probably true that had we stayed in the same location for a couple of days, we would have sighted many leg flagged birds. However, as roseates in particular have very rarely been recorded breeding in the Swains (particularly during the non-breeding period), these sightings would have told us nothing about where the non-breeders go to breed, (which is what we are trying to work out) or where else they might be hanging out when not breeding.

It would have been better if I had posted this message when we first did the banding but at that time I was not aware that this mailing list existed! I thought better late than never, especially given the approaching breeding season.

Happy birding!

Anna