birding-aus

Canberra visitor

Subject: Canberra visitor
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:34:51 +1100
Dear Chatters:
I am a visitor in ACT, from southeastern Arizona, who will be in Canberra
until near year's end.  My project duties have kept me quite busy here so
I have largely birded in the immediate neighborhood of ANU (including the
Botanic Garden) with two bicycle forays to Jerrabomera wetland.  Now things
are easing up just a bit and I would like to expand my horizons.  Being
without a car makes this difficult but I will go anywhere that can reasonably
be reached by bike or public transit or if anyone is going out who would
be willing to add an extra pair of eyes I would be grateful.
The real problem with some birds is that general directions just won't do.
 If someone comes to southern Arizona in hopes of seeing the Black-capped
Gnatcather it just will not do to say "look in Chino Canyon" when the real
directions are, "after you cross the cattle-guard at the entrance of the
canyon, and Elephant Head is on your left side, watch for the next large
sajuaro cactus on the right side of the trail, walk 150 meters and look
in the scrub on either side.  And on yes, be there at eight in the morning
when the sun first hits this patch of turf."  I am sure that is true of
birds here, like the Tawny Frogmouth.  If you know exactly where one is
(I don't) you can see it at any time.  Otherwise you are likely to search
in vain.