birding-aus

Spangled Drongo migration

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Spangled Drongo migration
From: "Michael Todd" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:29:55 +1000
Hello Phil,

While I was working in Lakefield in October/November 1998, I watched huge
numbers of drongos (and I don't mean the fishermen) heading roughly south
over Nifold Plain. They were coming across like you suggested, in loose
flocks. Most of my work involved chasing around the Palms Waterhole, and
often the Drongos would stop to have a break at the waterhole before moving
on. I don't think I counted any, I was too busy chasing Star Finches.

That waterhole was a bit of a travelling rest-stop for migrating birds.
Considering that it was surrounded by open grassland, it used to get quite a
variety of birds stopping in, including a Satin Flycatcher on one occasion.
Can't say as I saw any Oriental Hobbies though!

While I'm emailing you, did I ask you whether you had come across Crimson
Finches during your ramblings in New Guinea? I asked quite a few people
about a year ago, but the computer I was using then has collapsed and I
don't have access to old emails.

Cheers,

Mick Todd

Michael Todd