birding-aus

Caloundra, SEQ, terns

To: APMW <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Caloundra, SEQ, terns
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:12:55 +1000
Hello everyone,

I can't recall whether Jon Wren posted on birding-aus or apmw, so
this posting will go out on both.

Jon, in Bowen, Far North Qld, reported large numbers of migrating
Common and Little Tern passing south in his area last week.

Jon, thanks for sending them safely on their way - they have arrived
in Caloundra.

Last week I posted that there were hundreds of Common Tern and 3
Little Tern on the Caloundra sandbanks.

Our Thursday (26/10) survey produced a greatly increased abundance of
Common and Little Tern. The conditions were appalling - very windy-
and it was not possible to see bands or flags. I did see 2 Little
Terns in breeding plumage, our best indicator that they are from the
Australian population. Below are the day's counts. There may well
have been more, but conditions were appalling.

Common Tern             1165
Crested Tern            1868
Little Tern             1746
White-winged Black Tern     13

plus 11 species of migratory waders, including a high count of 61
Pacific Golden Plovers.

The reason I am bothering to post this information is that I hope
others will offer tidbits of what is terning up in their area.

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening