birding-aus

Red-phase Tawny Frogmouth

To: "Vella" <>
Subject: Red-phase Tawny Frogmouth
From: Andy Burton's Bush Tours <>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:39:20 +1000
Hi Edwin,

Sounds like you have seen as few as I have. My three sightings have been spread over about 22 years:

One at Mungo Brush, Myall Lakes NP on the coast of northern NSW in about 1978, and two recently at Cremorne and Artarmon. The (almost) deafening silence from others on birding-aus suggests that this morph. (thank you Philip Veerman for correcting me - not "phase") is most uncommon in NSW.

Are there any contradictions to this view?

Regards, Andy

Hi Andy and others

I have rarely encountred the red-phase Tawny Frogmouth amongst the loads of sightings of Tawny Frogmouths. Have seen them in Sydney area at Prospect and near Narrabeen aswell as at Glouster Tops, in the upper Hunter region.

Edwin