birding-aus

Red Hill.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Red Hill.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:33:53 +1000
Hi All.

I spent a pleasant, sunny 2 hours walking around one of my favourite local birding spots. Red Hill in the suburb of Beacon Hill on Sydney's northern beaches. As well as the usual suspects [heath species like Little Wattlebird, New Holland Honeyeater etc.] there were some nicer birds, A Rock Warbler on it's usual rocky island in the heath, 2 possibly 3 Pheasant Coucals calling from heath and sandstone woodland on the east flank of Red Hill and a Rufus Fantail in a small patch of sandstone woodland. I have seen R/F's at Red Hill previously in similar vegetation and assume they are resting on their migratory flight to more suitable habitat.

Conversely some of the more usual nicer birds were not seen or heard, no Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters, no Brush Bronzewings and no heathwrens, unfortunately Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens are becoming rare at Red Hill.

Happy birding.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd.