birding-aus

Sydney suburban White-winged Triller

Subject: Sydney suburban White-winged Triller
From: Andy Burton's Bush Tours <>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:03:10 +1000
Hi birders,

back on the 8th October I led a walk through Mowbray Park 33°  48.090´   151° 09.045´ a  narrow strip of bush a few km. north of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and alongside the Lane Cove River. There is a small stand of Grey Ironbark which was in flower and feeding on the insects was a  male White-winged Triller. This species is currently quite common to the immediate west of Sydney, in the Windsor area, but I am not aware of any records of this species in this immediate vicinity for many years. They would probably have been regular migrants either side of WW 2 and probably earlier.

Other interesting species were seen on this walk and on another walk that I did a few days later. To some they may appear mundane but in this heavily built-up part of Sydney most of these species are at best uncommon;

Nankeen Night Heron
Striated Heron
Royal Spoonbill
Pacific Baza
Topknot Pigeon
White-headed Pigeon
Shining Bronze-Cuckoo - an immature being fed by Brown Thornbills; my first breeding record in the area for this uncommon species
Tawny Frogmouth on nest (nearby in Flat Rock Gully)
Rufous Whistler
Leaden Flycatcher - first sighting in sixteen years in the area
White-winged Triller - ditto

Regards, Andy
--
Andy Burton's Bush Tours