birding-aus

Re: Intoxicated Lorikeet and a Magpie Story

Subject: Re: Intoxicated Lorikeet and a Magpie Story
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:15:15 GMT
On Saturday 14 October I came across an intoxicated Rainbow Lorikeet Trichoglossus haematodus dodging the vehicles on Woodlands Road, Bowen. Qld. It was quite apparent that it had been feeding on the nectar of the African Tulip Tree that are planted alongside this stretch of road. As the weather warms up at this time of year the nectar in the blossom ferments and makes an enjoyable but potent brew for any nectar feeding bird.
I pulled over and done a U-turn so as to remove the bird from danger.
Just prior to saving the bird a metallic grey Ford ute whizzed by (did not even give a hint of slowing down) missing the Lorikeet by centimetres. This took place as I stood adjacent to the road and my vehicle parked to the side, usually some caution is observed. Anyhow the Lorikeet survived and was cared for the night being sent on its way the next morning, no doubt with a headache.

That same afternoon I received a call from a person who had caught an Australian Magpie Gymnorhina tibicen which needed some care. On arrival I found an adult bird with its flight feathers completely clipped on both wings, all that remained of the wings were the uppermost parts of the primaries and secondaries and of course the coverts. Magpies are breeding at present and it seems some bloody idiot decided that they had, had enough of being swooped. The penalty the bird received for behaving naturally in protecting its territory was to have its power of flight removed and then being released to wander around the neighbourhood an easy target for the local pets.

This latter incident has been reported to the Environmental Officer, Bowen Shire Council who has agreed to mount a public awareness campaign through the local paper about the Magpie breeding season and how problem birds can be removed in the appropriate manner.

Yes Alex, there are plenty of yobbos, rednecks and idiots in North Queensland we have our fair share here in Bowen.

Jon Wren