birding-aus

Singing Bushlark (not!)

Subject: Singing Bushlark (not!)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:07:04 -0400
G'day all

Do I feel stupid!

The bird I saw at Lake Fyans yesterday (see previous post) was NOT a
Singing Bushlark but a Richard's Pipit.

I live and work surrounded by paddocks full of Skylarks and Pipits (and
Brown Songlarks at this time of year).  I have NEVER seen a Pipit do its
song flight and failed to even look up the literature on Pipits because I
didn't think they had a song flight.  Pizzey, as he always does, described
exactly what I saw.

So, I still haven't seen a Songlark in VIctoria.  Thanks to those who
emailed and put me straight without saying how stupid they thought I was.

It does makes me wonder about the Bushlark records for Victoria.  The
guides indicate that they should be reasonably common in western Victoria.
Is this the case or are others making my mistake?  I wonder about the
Yellow Thornbill records also.  I have very few records of this species
but they are shown in the Victorian Atlas as widespread across Victoria.
Are they being mis-identified also?  Well-seen they are quite distinct but
often the arboreal Thornbills are hard to get good views of.  What are
your experiences?

I better go and take to my atlas sheet with the eraser.

Cheers

Steve Clark