birding-aus

Woodswallows over Hamilton

Subject: Woodswallows over Hamilton
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:37:30 +1000

G'day all

Warm with a strong northerly here at present with a cold front approaching from
the west later today.  Perfect woodswallow weather and sure enough a flock of
30-40 just flew over (mid afternoon).  I couldn't see them well but they were
very pale underneath - probably Masked Woodswallows.  Neither this nor the
White-browed occur often in this part of the world.  My records are as follows:

1 Dec 1986 - Two W-b at Pastoral and Veterinary Institute
5 Oct 1991 - 100's flocking over Hamilton (similar day to today).  Mostly W-b
but about 1 in 20 were Masked.
16 Oct 1997 - Three W-b at Pastoral and Veterinary Institute

The woodswallows in general are great birds.  I always enjoy seeing them.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
45 Carmichael Street, Hamilton, Victoria, 3300
www.ansonic.com.au/clarks/sw_birds.htm