birding-aus

Goolengook plea

Subject: Goolengook plea
From: "Paul Jones" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:56:33 +1100
Hi all,
A result is possibly close at hand on the Goolengook Forests.  The Victorian
Labour Party are planning to discuss the issue at their conference on 21 & 22
of October.  Now is the perfect time to undertake a letter writing and contact
campaign as there is apparently quite a bit a bit of number crunching and
blood-letting
occurring as industry leaders try to outdo public support for protection of
the area.  As it will probably be put to a vote, please consider writing to
others then just ministers overseeing environmental issues.
A list of ALP politicians and their addresses can be found at

 www.parliament.vic.gov.au/mlas.html

Very detailed info on the values of the Goolengook Catchment (cool, warm and
transitional rainforest, scenic, endangered species like the Sooty and Powerful
Owl, Long footed Potaroo, Spot Tailed Quoll and Slender Tree Fern) can be found
on the website

www.vicnet.net.au/~croeg

Also on this site is a Goolengook.doc  This contains very detailed information
and a proposal for the new National Park.  Most of the stakeholder groups are
now hoping that people will write giving their support to this croeg (Concerned
Residents of East Gippsland) proposal.  Time-wise it would only take about 5
minutes to write.

The groups involved in the blockade have a site at www.geco.org.au
Incidentally
this is now Australia?s longest running blockade ever at almost 4 years.

I am happy to answer any questions on the issues involved and I hope you will
support this campaign.

Paul.

P.S.  For those following the Green Catbird discussion, a person I know was
in the area over the weekend and found no sign of this species.