birding-aus

Little Bittern at Sherwood

To: david taylor <>
Subject: Little Bittern at Sherwood
From: Phil & Linda Cross <>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:00:00 +1000
David,

You wrote:

> Following recent interesting sightings at Sherwood Forest Park in Brisbane
> went looking for them this morning, No luck with crakes but  we saw a female
> LITTLE BITTERN. Wonderful view of a single bird out in the open below some
> reeds. We watched it for about 20 minutes.
> Interestingly this is only the second time I have seen this bird and the
> first time was at the same park some 12 years ago. Pizzey says they can
> irrupt into coastal areas in drought conditions.

The  little park mentioned above was very popular with bird watchers back in
December 1994 when Spotless and Baillon's Crake, Little Grassbird and Little
Bittern were all easy to observe during any time of day, but the park became a
hive of activity a few days later in January 1995 when bird watchers from around
Brisbane flocked to the area to see a Lewin's Rail that also turned up.  During
that dry spell Little Curlew and Oriental Plover were seen at Archerfield
Aerodrome.

Lewins Rail has also turned up at Buckley's Hole on Bribie Island, SEQ (seen
during a QOSI outing) on 7th October.  With the current dry conditions
continuing anything could turn up along the coast.  I will be posting the report
on the Bribie Island outing shortly.

Linda Cross
Bellmere
SEQ