birding-aus

lost notebook

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: lost notebook
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 06:23:08 +1000
Hi chatters,

A Canadian correspondent asked me to post this here.

To World Birders:
I am in possession of a birder's field notebook, 6" by 4", found
September 17, 2000 at Island View Beach near Victoria, British
Columbia, Canada. I am certain that the owner - an obvious world
traveller and bird-tour participant - would like to get it back. The
owner's name does not appear in the front of the book, but the name
Richard Mayall appears with a note inside the back cover. Mayall may
not be the owner. From the following dates and locations entered in
the book, perhaps someone out there will recognize this individual and
he/she can then contact me as indicated below. Having, myself, lost a
book or two while birding, I would be delighted to be able to mail
this book to its owner.

The first entries of birds, butterflies and place names listed clearly
are from England. I suspect the owner may live there. Entries include
Colwall (?), Coastguard Cottages at Soar, Soar Mill Cove, Kingsbridge
- Salcombe Cruise - Ferry to Salcombe - Ferry to Kingsbridge,  Start
Point Lighthouse (Devonshire), all in late June, 2000.

The next birding destination was Iceland from July 9 - 17, 2000.

Then birding in South Africa - Aug. 5 to 23, 2000.

Then to Calgary, Alberta, Canada on September 9, where the owner
apparently boarded the Rocky Mountaineer train through the Rocky
Mountains, through Kamloops and to Vancouver, BC., birding all the hot
spots in Vancouver until Sept. 15.

Finally, the ferry from Tsawwassen (Vancouver) to Vancouver Island on
Sept. 16, where the book was dropped at Island View Beach Regional
Park on Sept. 16 or 17, 2000.

Please pass this note on to others and circulate to chat lines. I
would be pleased to hear from anyone who may have a clue about the
identity or address of the owner.

Bryan

Bryan R. Gates, MSc, RPBio
3085 Uplands Road, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8R 6B3
(250) 598-7789