birding-aus

Pink Robin

To: BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Pink Robin
From: John Reidy <>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 13:39:21 +1000
Hi all,
I just happened to glance outside on the deck this morning during
breakfast and saw a small brown bird sitting on it about a foot away
from the window. On closer inspection it was a female Pink Robin. Rich
buff wing bars and no white on tail distinguished it from other robin
species. We have never seen any robins here and even honeyeaters only
fly over.

A great start to the day!

Happy Birding.

--
John Reidy, Sydney
Phone: 02 9871 4836

eside Shanes Park =
Rd. This is the 3rd time I have seen the Bazas at Shanes Park); a =
Whistling Kite; Peaceful Doves; Pallid Cuckoos (4 plus) and several =
Golden and Horsfields Bronze-cuckoos (the later 2 were feeding on =
caterpillars in Black Wattles); Sacred Kingfisher; 2 male White-winged =
Trillers (also feeding on grubs from Black Wattle along Shanes Park Rd); =
many Rufous Whistlers; a male Leaden Flycatcher; atleast 3 Speckled =
Warblers feeding in shrubbery with Buff-rumped Thornbills; many =
White-throated Gerygones; Weebills (3 seen coming down to the ground to =
collect cobwebs for their nests); lots of Varied Sitellas; a small =
colony of Bell miners along South Creek; several of Yellow-faced, =
Brown-headed and Scarlet Honeyeaters feeing on Narrow-leaved Iron bark =
(Eucalyptus Crebra); several Eastern Spinebills; lots of Olive-backed =
Orioles and White-browed/Masked Woodswallows calling overhead.

This is also probably the only areas where one can still see free =
roaming Eastern Grey Kangaroos close to Sydney.

Saw my first Red-bellied Black-snake for the season at Shanes Park, and =
after turning around, a Brown Snake was there (but that was not shy =
compared to the Red-bellied). To all birdo's, PLEASE TREAD CAREFULLY ! =
With the very dry and hot weather, there will be more of these venomous =
snakes this season. But I hope this does not scare off any birdo's and I =
hope many others will send in more trip reports during this fabulous and =
interesting time to be out birding.

Edwin

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0314F.609AA9A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>With the hope in trying to add more species to my local Shire list, I =
decided
to make a morning visit to Shanes Park (about 55 km west of Sydney CBD =
or 15km
west of Blacktown City) and this area today proved quite rewarding. </P>
<P>Species seen included a pair of <B>Pacific Bazas</B> (one was =
displaying
rising up steeply with wings held in a V then dropping down, beside =
Shanes Park
Rd. This is the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> time I have seen the Bazas at Shanes =
Park); a
<B>Whistling Kite</B>; <B>Peaceful Doves</B>; <B>Pallid Cuckoos</B> (4 =
plus) and
several <B>Golden and Horsfields Bronze-cuckoos</B> (the later 2 were =
feeding on
caterpillars in Black Wattles); <B>Sacred Kingfisher</B>; 2 male =
<B>White-winged
Trillers</B> (also feeding on grubs from Black Wattle along Shanes Park =
Rd);
many <B>Rufous Whistlers</B>; a male <B>Leaden Flycatcher</B>; atleast 3 =

<B>Speckled Warblers</B> feeding in shrubbery with <B>Buff-rumped
Thornbills</B>; many <B>White-throated Gerygones</B>; <B>Weebills</B> (3 =
seen
coming down to the ground to collect cobwebs for their nests); lots of =
<B>Varied
Sitellas</B>; a small colony of <B>Bell miners</B> along South Creek; =
several of
<STRONG>Yellow-faced, Brown-headed and Scarlet Honeyeaters =
</STRONG>feeing on
Narrow-leaved Iron bark (Eucalyptus Crebra); several <B>Eastern =
Spinebills</B>;
lots of <B>Olive-backed Orioles</B> and <B>White-browed/Masked =
Woodswallows</B>
calling overhead.</P>
<P>This is also probably the only areas where one can still see free =
roaming
Eastern Grey Kangaroos close to Sydney. </P>
<P>Saw my first Red-bellied Black-snake for the season at Shanes Park, =
and after
turning around, a Brown Snake was there (but that was not shy compared =
to the
Red-bellied). To all birdo&#8217;s, PLEASE TREAD CAREFULLY ! With the =
very dry and hot
weather, there will be more of these venomous snakes this season. But I =
hope
this does not scare off any birdo&#8217;s and I hope many others will =
send in more
trip reports during this fabulous and interesting time to be out =
birding.</P>
<P>Edwin </P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0314F.609AA9A0--