birding-aus

Mallee Whipbird (Psophodes leucogaster) sighting

To: "Birding-Aus" <>, <>
Subject: Mallee Whipbird (Psophodes leucogaster) sighting
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 21:40:42 +1000
At Memory Cove, Port Lincoln National Park on the tip Eyre peninsula, South
Australia Annie and I saw one and heard a pair of Mallee Whipbirds.  This is
a difficult bird to see. On September 21 we walked to the point from the
camp ground at dusk. On our return we heard the bird calling up the hill. We
noted the location S34 57 47 7  E135 59 30 8 and returned the next morning.
We walked up the hill 20 metres, played a tape and the bird flew around us
several times quite closely.  It was between 7am and 7.15am.

This is not the site mentioned in Thomas & Thomas*. A camping permit for $18
per day is required from the Tourist Information Centre in Port Lincoln.
They close at 5pm.  With the permit comes a key to let you in to that
section of the park.
It is truly worth every penny. The campsite is right on the beach with a
pair of resident Hooded Plovers. There are many species of bird around the
camp including Blue-breasted and Superb Fairywrens, Purple-gaped and
Brown-headed Honeyeaters, Southern Scrub-robins and Shy Hylacolas. We saw 38
species in the two days moving around the area.  A 4WD vehicle is necessary
(or a rental car).

We hope others who can see this bird enjoy the surroundings as much as we
did.

* The Complete guide to finding the Birds of Australia. Richard & Sarah
Thomas. Frogmouth Publications ISBN 0 9528065 0 9

Trevor & Annie Quested

Sydney,  Australia