birding-aus

Caloundra sandbanks 6/10/00

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Caloundra sandbanks 6/10/00
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:05:16 +1000
Hello all,

Every Thursday I monitor the birds on the Caloundra sandbanks with
Barb Dickson.  Caloundra is at the southern end of the Sunshine Coast
in South-East Queensland.

Of the Crested Terns (CRTE), one flock of 424 included at least 65
birds (15%) in full breeding plumage. Another flock of 82 included at
least 30 (36%) in full breeding plumage.

Following last week's discussion about Lesser Crested Terns (LCTE)
occurring in greater numbers than I thought was the case, I searched
the flock very carefully. No LCTEs were present, although several of
the CRTEs had quite dark beaks. Darkish beak colour alone is not
enough to ID a LCTE.

Here is yesterday's haul between 2.20pm and last light at 6.33pm.
These figures represent minimum numbers of birds present.

TOTAL NUMBER OF BIRDS           1653
TOTAL NUMBER OF SPECIES         18

SPECIES LIST

Tern, Caspian                   1
Tern, Crested                   1102
Tern, Gull-billed                       8
Gull, Silver                    147
Curlew, Eastern                         61
Godwit, Bar-tailed                      289
Knot, Great                     4
Oystercatcher, Pied             1
Plover, Pacific Golden          2
Plover, Red-capped                      10
Stint, Red-necked                       2
Whimbrel                                4
Cormorant, Little Black                 4
Cormorant, Pied                         12
Pelican, Australian                     2
Brahminy Kite                   1
Osprey                          1
Whistling Kite                  1
White-bellied Sea-Eagle         2