birding-aus

Gold Coast Corellas

Subject: Gold Coast Corellas
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 18:45:00 +1000
A friend of ours was over from Perth for the week, so I took today off
and took her up to Springbrook.  I recall someone exhorted us to keep an
eye out for unusual birds at this time of year - driving through
Mudgeerabah this morning, I am pretty sure I saw a flock of little
corellas by the link road.

Anyhow, the birding was pretty good on the Warrie Circuit, though we had
a tight time frame for the 17km waltz, and didn't have time to stop and
sus out the thornbills.

Basically, the catbirds, fan-tailed cuckoos, noisy pittas, brown and
wompoo pigeons were all in fine voice. We had two sightings of regent
bowerbirds and the logrunners were out in force, though for some reason,
some seemed to be alone [normally they forage in close pairs].  There
were also heaps of pale-yellow robins - the first time I've seen
considerably more PYRs than eastern yellow robins.  Normally the PYRs
are alone, but this time they seemed to be hanging around in pairs.

For those of you into raptors, we also saw a grey goshawk
gliding/circling over the tree tops.

For people interested in the NatureLink proposal, it may be possible
that someone in main roads may have decided that the project is likely
to go ahead, because there has been a fair bit of roadwork done on the
"back" road up from the western side of the plateau.

Regards, Laurie.