birding-aus

Cost effective Iron Range Trips

To: "BirdingAus" <>
Subject: Cost effective Iron Range Trips
From: "Judith Hoyle" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 09:48:15 +1000
Dear Birding Ausers

This tip was given to us by the rangers at Iron Range.  We were planning to fly into Lockhart River or to hire a 4wd out of Cairns, but were advised to fly into Weipa and hire from there.  The journey over to IR is only about 4 hours.  This has saved us heaps of money as the flight was going to cost $500 plus per person.  Provided you have Ansett frequent flyer points you can fly to Weipa free as Ansett have a daily flight.  4wd hire is about 140 per day ex Weipa (about $30 more than hiring out of Cairns).  As there are 4 of us making the trip we have saved over 2000 dollars on the flight into Lockhart River.  We have also hired a weeks accommodation at Portlands Road at 250 per person.  That brings the total to $495 per person for car hire and accom.

We are heading up in two weeks.  Will post a full trip report on my return.

Regards

Judith Hoyle