birding-aus

Access excess

Subject: Access excess
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:30:15 +1200
Hi folks

This has been another rivetting thread - mainly because it's something that
gets the blood sitrring for so many with various points of view to shout about.

It is important to maintain access to areas of high birding significance - but
I can understand that landowners can be easily put off side by rubbish, having
to tow people out of bogs (they can't really leave them there, can they),
disturbance to stock & crops, etc.

Another issue not really addressed in this discussion is that of keeping hordes
of people away from sensitive areas or species whose breeding may suffer from
over-visitation. Oops - almost back into the old 'disclosure' thread ...:-(

I don't think we need to churn over the same comments any more - but if anyone
has something new to say on the access issue, let's hear it, please.

Can I suggest the article in last weekend's Herald/Age etc: "How to stuff a
Cassowary" - there is a chilling account of what one farmer did after he
discovered a researcher who used his property was allied with an active
conservation group.  (The study site was felled, a cassowary was shot, the
researcher was banished, etc)

By the way, whilst I think that 'whistleblowing' plays an important part in
helping justice along, please remember that most whilstles are directed at the
relevant authorities.  i.e. complaints and evidence are best sent to local
authorities, wildlife agencies, gov't departments etc.  Naming names on
Birding-Aus is much the same as doing it in the Sydney Morning Herald  - OK you
can't wrap your garbage in old birding-aus articles - but you can still end up
in court if your message contains anything defamatory.  Remember that
birding-aus messages can be read by ANYONE on the Internet. Please be careful
with what you write in this forum, and avoid anything you are unsure about.
Some conversations will be better kept in private!

Thanks

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Manager