birding-aus

Spring migrants

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Spring migrants
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:37:23 +1000
After my last posting on the Channel Billed cuckoo all has been quiet. Must
have passed through. At last, though, our first koel. It called at 8.30am on
26th September. No sounds today, 29th, so again perhaps passing through.
Another passage through the garden this morning - a Superb Lyrebird! Our
first here since we moved in in 1984. We are only one street and one layer
of houses from the bushland and gullies and we knew they were around below
us but this was rather pleasing. It stayed for about 10 minutes before
moving on to the next front garden and, we hope, the safety of that gully
and natural bush ... still about 100m. Not far for Jones but perhaps a
distance for a lost bird.
Brian Everingham
Engadine
the southern outskirts of Engadine
PS In 45 minutes of walking along the cliff tops between Bundeena and Marley
yesterday we came across Black Shouldered Kite, Australian kestrel. White
Breasted Sea Eagle and Brown Falcon. That brought a smile to our faces too.