birding-aus

Access to pastoral leases

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Access to pastoral leases
From: "Robert Read" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 18:43:30 +0930
As a former South Australian who has been out of SA for 9 years was out of Australia for 4 years I am puzzled by one aspect of this discussion.

The former SA Govt attempted to resolve some of these problems on pastoral leases by legislation.  My understanding of the position in the late 80's was as follows.

A member of the public wishing to visit a point of interest (for example Joes Waterhole or Bills Mine) could apply to the lessee in writing for permission.
If the lessee twice refused written applications the applicant could refer the matter to the Minister of Lands for a decision.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the following.

When was the legislation changed?
Why was it changed?  Did it cause problems for pastoralists, too much work for the Minister's staff?
Was there a public outcry against the change?  If not why not?

Robert Read
Alice Springs