birding-aus

Access to large grazing leases

To: <>
Subject: Access to large grazing leases
From: "Allan Morris" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 22:43:28 +1000
Hi Birders,
I was interested to hear Terry Pacey's comments about the access to private lands but I think he is off the "pace"! Here on the Central Coast if there is an interesting bird on private land, I naturally would ask permission to go on that land, and avoid going on the land if I knew that the owner was unco-operative. But when travelling in the Western Division of NSW (which is outside of the agricultural lands) I have a more radical view. That is because the properties could be 300000-400000 ha in extent, the owner may actually own or lease 2 or 3 such properties and does not live on any! Trying to find who the "owner" is  well nigh impossible. While you are travelling you have no idea where the homestead is located, and in many places the name of the property is not shown anywhere (for security reasons?) so it is difficult to determine who "owns" the land and so seek permission to enter.

Furthermore on many of the main roads, the route follows a Travelling Stock Reserve (TSR), particularly obvious where there are the Public Watering Places (PWP) along the route. The TSR could be 500 m or more wide, often less. Often TSRs are not fenced. So that providing you are parked near the edge of an unfenced road, you could walk in a few hundred yards and still be on a TSR ie not on private property as such. So until told otherwise by an owner, that is the practise I follow. If you visit an area in western NSW regularly it is worth gettting a map which shows the location of TSRs because many property owners don't indicate where the TSR ends and their land begins.  I assume that there are TSRs in Qld & South Australia?

If the Qld & SA Governments were really interested in Tourism, I would have thought that they might provide limited access to the grazing leases! Currently Tourism is more valauble to the State than rents from pastoralists!

Alan Morris