birding-aus

White-throated Gerygone

To: <>
Subject: White-throated Gerygone
From: "Stephen Seymour" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:30:59 +1000
Gidday All

Have just returned from a trip to Albury and if anyone handy has yet to
catch up with these little beautys can report that Monument Hill had a
White-throated Warbler today. I only had 20mins for lunch in the early
afternoon and stoped on the hill on my way home. Had noted my first
Bee-eater for the season, a pair of Rufous Whistlers, a Grey Fantail,
several Straited Pardalotes, several Weebills, a male White-winged Triller
in bold black and white, the Magpies were harrassing the Kookaburras and
the Red Wattlebirds flew to and fro.Large formations of Straw-necked Ibis
passed overhead, and the Wellcome Swallows patrolled the air space around
the Monument itself. Didnt at first recognise the call of the
White-throated Warbler, am more familiar with the Western Warbler in my
area, so tried a "sqeek", at first only the female Rufous Whistler
responded, then the Weebills and the Grey Fantail, then to my delight the
Warbler showed its self. A stunning little bird. On a sadder note, the
first magpie fledgling greased on the road on the way home.

Good birding,

Stephen Seymour,Deniliquin