birding-aus

Hide Duty

Subject: Hide Duty
From: S Cooney <>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:35:10 +1000
Good Morning,

I spent another interesting, though damp day at the Edithvale Wetlands Bird Hide in Victoria on Saturday. A quiet sort of a day, with very few visitors and barely a Comb Crested Jacana to be seen let alone a Northern Shoveller or Pintail!

There were no waders in yet, and there is probably too much water for them at the moment; there is hardly any exposed mud, its all water. Plenty of cygnets, most of the Swans with young had four or five trailing behind them. It must be a good season. Other Swans were still building nests.

What we missed in variety was compensated by the regular menacing appearance of a pair of Swamp Harriers regularly transecting the swamp, although without success in the time we were watching.

All in all a lovely relaxing way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Full bird list follows in no particular order.

Stuart.

Chestnut Teal
Grey Teal
Black Swan