birding-aus

Clifton Hills

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Clifton Hills
From: "Eddie Ash" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 07:20:39 +1000
   We too were not allowed to visit the Koonchera Waterhole or Pandiburra bore on a recent trip down the Birdsville track.   There are new managers there and they told us that there was still extensive wet areas on the property.   Whether that was just an excuse or not I don't know, but we did hear from an independant source that Clifton Hills has been having a lot of problems caused by tourists, such as people camping near waterholes and inadvertently stopping stock from getting a drink, littering, driving up to the homestead and walking straight in to the house or sheds without permission, getting stuck somewhere whitout having got permission to be there, and then expecting help from the station people and so on.
   You can understand that they must get fed up.   Clifton Hills happens to be half way along the track and gets more problems than other stations because that is where people are ready to break their journey.   They did tell us that they can't stop people from camping near the road and we had a lovely night at Lake Surprise sand dune.
   When we phoned Mt. Lyndhurst to get permission to camp there, the manager was really pleased.   He said we were welcome to, but commented that we were the only people who had ever asked him for permission.
   So please everyone, if you go out into these sorts of places, remember that the surrounding country is privately owned land and do ask permission before going there.   City folk wouldn't like strangers picnicking on their front lawns, and driving onto someone's property is just the same thing, albeit on a larger scale.
Cheers    Annabel
P.S.  We got fabulous views of the chesnut-breasted whiteface at Mt. Lyndhurst and the banded ones north of Mungerannie.    I didn't see one grasswren on the whole trip though.