birding-aus

Glossy Black Cockatoos at West Head, Sydney

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Glossy Black Cockatoos at West Head, Sydney
From: Stuart Mulvenna <>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:25:41 +1000
This report is a little late owing to computer problems.

On Saturday & Sunday 26-27 August, there were 4 Glossy Black Cockatoos
feeding in a casuarina at the West Head lookout north of Sydney. They were
feeding quietly, ignoring all the tourists walking around and gawking, and
sitting on benches under the tree. This tree is on the left halfway down
the path from the road, and the path is littered with fragments of
casuarina cones so it's easy to find. They weren't there last Saturday when
we had a quick look, but there are plenty of casuarinas nearby so I expect
they're still around.

Also last Saturday on the Challenger track a few km back along West Head
Road, 3 raptors were soaring and gliding together overhead and making
strange calls to each other - from which I assume they were Whistling Kites
although I couldn't make a positive ID. At the end of the track overlooking
Cowan Creek, there was another Kite patrolling the shoreline (one of the 3
we saw before?), and a White-bellied Sea Eagle soaring above the headland
on the other side of Little Pittwater inlet. There were also lots of
White-Eared Honeyeaters along this track, as well as the usual New Hollands
and White-Cheeked Honeyeaters, whereas in identical heathland on the nearby
Waratah Track the previous week we saw only New Hollands & White-Cheeked.

Regards

Stuart