birding-aus

Subject: Mime-Version: 1.0
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 09:44:30 +0900
Hi all, I've just had approx 200 atlas report forms given to me by some
folk who recently completed a trip across the Simpson Desert. This is fine,
but an alarming (for birders) additional thing they mentioned is that many
of the traditional camping and birding spots along the Birdsville Track
have now been closed off and have no camping and trespass warning signs on
them. Perhaps worst of all for birders is that Clifton Hills management now
also deny access to Koonchera Dune and Waterhole, and that includes
Pandieburra Bore. These closures mean that reliable Eyrean and Grey
Grasswren, Letter-winged Kite, and Yellow Chat sites are no longer
available to birders. A personal approach made to Clifton Hills was
et
with a vehement flat refusal, even for atlassing purposes.

This is all very disappointing, but one can understand property owners and
managers getting very fed up with the mess of litter that some campers
leave, and there's no doubt travellers have brought this reaction on
themselves by their own poor behaviour.

I still need to see one bird species from these areas - Flock Bronzewing -
I guess I'll need to see it from the car.

Tony. Adelaide.

   ADELAIDE BIRDING with Tony Russell. South Australia by 4WD
   phone : 08 8337 5959  , o/s 61 8 8337 5959
   e-mail:
   There's nothing quite like the feeling of seeing a new bird is there?