birding-aus

waders on the eastern shores of Port Phillip

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: waders on the eastern shores of Port Phillip
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 19:14:27 +1000
Following the earliest local arrival date for Common Sandpiper,
below the Beaumaris cliffs on the 24th, today there were 2 Ruddy
Turnstones at Ricketts Point, Beaumaris, the earliest arrival
date I know for them in my area. Bob Berry saw one there on
3/9/1993.

One turnstone was successively disturbed by 2 people walking on
to the reef (at c.30m) and small dogs, one running (20,30m). But
although it flew three times it did not seem to leave the area.
Hungry ?

I'm inclined to argue to the Council that they should experiment
by setting only limited legal bye/local laws on dogs and people
and working with local dog lovers (who love to walk their dogs
in summer but less obviously in colder months) to persuade other
dog owners to do the right thing.

Any comments from anyone who has experience of trying to
restrict access to shorebird areas, please.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife