birding-aus

Video cameras for birding

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Video cameras for birding
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 06:34:31 -0700
Hello All,

For many years now I have been keen on the idea of using a video camcorder as an alternative to film cameras for recording the birds I see.
Ten years ago I made my first foray into this field with a Sharp VL-S860X.
I chose (or was advised to choose) this camcorder because it recorded in S-VHS-C format (supposedly significantly higher resolution than VHS-C) and it had a 12x zoom lens, the most powerful zoom on any 'consumer' camcorder on the market at the time.
However, the results were extremely disappointing.
The resolution achieved was very 'average' under anything other than perfect conditions while the zoom lens was nowhere near powerful enough for my purpose.

Overall, my experience with this camera was enough to put me off the idea of using video camcorders to record bird images.

On the point of zoom lens ranges, most manufactures promote the zoom range with a number such as 20x to indicate the maximum power.
However this figure is a little misleading. It indicates the ratio of the maximum zoom compared to the minimum setting.
The resulting power of the zoom is actually based on the construction of the lens.
Some lenses 'start' their zoom from a very wide angle and end up at a moderate zoom setting while other lenses start at a less wide setting and therefore end up at a higher zoom setting.
Calculating this can be a little tricky but a good video camera sales person (I have met a couple) should be able to calculate this for you in 35mm film camera terms. This conversion information can sometimes be found in the user manual.

Recent postings on Birding-Aus have regenerated my interest in camcorders and the other day I took delivery of a Sony DCR-TRV320E Digital 8 unit.
The main reasons I chose this model are:
- it is a true digital format camcorder even though it uses 8mm tape and not the so-called mini-DV tape;
- it has probably the most powerful zoom lens of any of the current 'consumer' digital camcorders on the market, up to 1200mm optical in 35mm terms;
- it is a lot cheaper than most of the mini-digital-video camcorders on the market;
- all of the reviews (at least 4) that I have read give the range of Sony D8 camcorders a good to very good rating;
- the resolution achieved under test has been reported to be at least equal to most of the 'consumer' digital camcorders on the market;
- this model has a removable 'Memory Stick' (a mini floppy disc about the size of a stick of chewing gum) for recording still shots;
- the highest grade 8mm tape (HSE) appears to be exactly the same tape as is used in the smaller mini-digital cassettes and is somewhat cheaper.

So far I have been able to open the box, remove the camcorder, charge and install the battery.
I have found the viewfinder and the LCD screen and now I am reading the manual (a desperate move, I know) and exploring all the buttons and knobs.

It is my intention to eventually (as soon as possible, actually) add a page to my web-site with more details on using this camcorder for birding along with examples of what the camcorder can achieve. Unfortunately, limitations on the web-site space I have available will mean there will only be 'still' shots taken from the video and the Memory Stick and not actual video.

If anyone is considering the idea of a video camera for birding they may like to wait a couple of weeks to see what I come up with.
The Sony D8 cameras appear to be a popular choice generally as they are in short supply at the moment.
However, digital camcorders are like PCs, new models are coming on to the market every week.
Choosing a model suitable for a specific purpose can be daunting and frustrating.

Note: I have no personal or business connection with the Sony Corporation or any other company that manufactures or markets Sony products or any other product I may mention in this context.
The opinions I express in this context are entirely my own unless otherwise stated and do not represent an endorsement of any product mentioned.
Other people's experiences and opinions may vary from my own.
The information and opinions I express are simply provided for interest and entertainment only.
I cannot accept responsibility for any misfortune, misadventure, loss or damage that may occur to other people or their property as a result of acting on opinions or results I may state.

Here's to good video-birding,

Bob Inglis
Woody point SEQld,
27 deg 15min 18 sec S; 153 deg 5 min 38 sec E
E-mail:
WWW: http://www.powerup.com.au/~inglisrc