birding-aus

Magpies

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Magpies
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 20:41:43 +0930
Hi there birders,

It never ceases to amaze me how resilient birds (and other creatures too) are to human intrusion into their territory.

I teach at a local primary school and yesterday we had our annual sports day. I was rather preoccupied during the day to observe many birds but near the end of proceedings I was aware of an Australian Magpie regularly visiting a nest. It was flying in with food it had gathered in the railway station reserve opposite the oval.

 This nest was immediately above or near (less than 50m) over 600+ screaming children and some 300+ adults, many of whom were cheering on their team to win during the relay events, not to mention the starter's gun some 15m from the tree.

It was a very pleasant ending to an otherwise testing day; my team came last!

Happy birding,

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge
South Aust