birding-aus

Land clearing and solving salt problems

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Land clearing and solving salt problems
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:45:06 +1000
> The subject of pumping/recycling saline water was covered in an excellent
> segment of 'Landline' on the ABC last week.
[snip]

I didn't see last week's program, but I did see a similar story some time
ago.  I had a look at the Landline website (http://www.abc.net.au/landline),
and found this story:

   Pyramid Salt
   Reporter: Pip Courtney

   Instead of reclaiming farmland in the middle of the Tragowell Plains
   of North West Victoria, John Ross sank bores in order to tap into the
   underground salt aquifers and created a salt farm 250 kilometres from
   the sea.

   There are 13 evaporation and salt retrieval ponds which are fed by two
   bores which pump around 120 to 130 thousand litres of water a day.

   The water, which is as salty as sea water, is moved from pond to pond
   via gravity feeding and through a process of evaporation. By the time
   the water has reached the last pond, the concentration of the salt has
   reached total saturation. At this point the solution is pumped into a
   crystaliser and the salt is allowed to grow.

   The salt is cleaned, drained, stockpiled, redissolved in tanks and
   then put into a polyhouse where it recrystalises.

   The finished product is worth from $150 to $300 a tonne. Pyramid Salt
   is doing more than value adding to salty land. It's also lowering
   ground water, removing salt permanently from the system and reclaiming
   land which was once useless for cropping and grazing.

   Pyramid Salt expects to be processing and bagging salt by the end of
   August.