birding-aus

Qld. land clearing controls

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Qld. land clearing controls
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:54:04 +0930
Hi Netters,
(Longish - I got carried away, too)
I have been contemplating adding my thoughts to this discussion for a while. Every time I read or hear about the destruction going on, including last night on the ABC, makes my blood boil. But I have held off posting those thoughts expecting other people to be far more political in the way they word things. Which has mostly proven true. However I think there is one main point being missed in the discussion. And this is why, in my opinion, this out-of-control destruction is allowed to take place. It is something I come across daily - it is an enormous lack of awareness, if not understanding, of the value of nature and all things natural, especially among those communities closest to it: rural communities. In fact, this lack of awareness is so strong among many, it is quite often expressed as fear, resistance, or "mental block".
Yes I know it's generalising, and I know there are many farmers and other people in rural areas who are not like that at all, and who are doing the right thing. But it seems that those people suffering from resistance of accepting the true value of nature, are often the ones most outspoken and seem, either through their numbers, their outspokenness, their historical contacts, or whatever, most successfull in pushing their case - in this case, allowing out-of-control woodland destruction to occur at a rate that puts Australia among 5 obscure countries.
The "decade of LandCare" has produced some great results, especially in changing the mindset of rural communities. However it seems to me that on a national level, the closer you get to a more densely populated area, the more successful the landcare activities. I argue that this would be a direct reflection of the level of awareness / understanding of the value of nature and biodiversity.
If people think that clearing land can stop erosion, that regeneration after clearing is beneficial for wildlife and vegetation, that to me clearly shows they don't understand (or that the land in question was already badly degraded from current management practices).
Too often do I hear the mallee being referred to as "useless scrub". Too often do I hear fragile wetland ecosystems being referred to as "mosquito-infested swamps". And too often do I still sense the pioneering spirit where "conquering" the natural environment is considered normal, whereas showing an appreciation for nature is considered ab-normal.
Well I think I better put an end to it - by now you'd get my point. Unless we can change the attitude of people that "manage" the land for our future generations, it's going to be a long, hard road...one that unfortunately seems to run downhill for this country at present.
And by the way, I live in a rural community.

Regards

Peter Waanders

The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or legally
privileged.  Use or disclosure of the information by anyone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please advise by return e-mail.