birding-aus

this country is supposed to shine

Subject: this country is supposed to shine
From: lorne <>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:32:35 +1000
Here are some statistics/points from a Nature Conservation Council
postcard I picked up at Midnight Oil's sensational State Theatre gig
last Saturday night in Sydney...

* Between 5 to 10 million birds are killed each year in NSW due to land
clearing.

* At least 30 000 football fields worth of native bush is cleared every
year in NSW.

* For every tree that is planted, 100 are lost.

* Land clearing causes salty ground water to rise, and this ruins
farmlands, and poisons our rivers and water supplies.

THIS PISSES ME OFF BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT IT ALL?????????????????

I've made my Yr.12 General Studies class aware of these stats, but that
is only one thing I've done. Spreading the word is crucial... but there
has to be more, and I will find it.

Yours in frustration,

LGJ.