birding-aus

Landclearing politicial

To: <>
Subject: Landclearing politicial
From: "Neville Schrader" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:05:23 +1000
Goodday everyone,

The question I ask about Julies comments is what is not political. I don't
consider the request from Brian and others in making birdos aware of
specific issues affecting birds to be out of place, afterall "landclearing"
is without a doubt the biggest threat to birds in every country in the
world. The fact the Australia is up there with the top land clearing nations
is something we should all be concerned about.

Probably the point missed my many people is because you get a request
doesn't mean you have to do it. Though I can't understand why anyone with a
reasonable interest in birds and their future won't.

Its always interesting to see landholder reaction to the landclearing issue
and nearly always its a over reaction and always the mental block that only
landholders know how to look after the land and know the issues that effect
the land. Well I wish more city people and farmers would visit my area and
see the salinity the erosion and the dying remnant vegetation. Its pretty
sobering when you read some of the information coming out of salinity
summits and scientific forecasts. They give Lachlan around 30 years of life.
Ofcause the retort that these were all mistakes made in the past deserves
pretty close examination, the clearing large-scale in Queensland is not the
past but the present, well guess what clearing is still occurring in the
Upper Lachlan ( not much, but there's not much left). Naturally there is a
lot of landholders spending large amounts to revegetation for survival,
salitinity is not nice to look at and nothing lives from it. I guess the
point I'm making is you don't have to only live in the country and own a
property to appreciate the long term future if we don't control our current
land management practices.

So Barry or anyone else if you have and issue that effects birds lets all
know, the individual can then make the decision whether to write to the
politicians or not.

I reckon my great- grandkids are entitled to see more then sparrows and
starlings.

Neville Schrader
Parkes