birding-aus

Pigeons in tight formation

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "Tom Tarrant" <>, "Atzeni Michael" <>, "Jon Wren" <>, "Max O'Sullivan" <>, "Lloyd Nielsen" <>, "Ros Laundon" <>, "EDWIN VELLA" <>
Subject: Pigeons in tight formation
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 17:53:46 +1000
Many thanks to birding-aussers for so many comments about the speeding,
missile-like flocks of pigeons.

Several people have mentioned similar experiences, with Topknot Pigeons
being responsible.

There are two problems for me in concluding that the birds that sped past us
were Topknots. The habitat was very much open, dry woodland - not what you
would think of as Topknot habitat, but I have heard that they do get around
cross-country in flocks sometimes. The other difficulty is that I retain an
indelible image of a brown or russet colour from the five or so seconds of
the experience, whether it was on the underwing or wherever, that I can't
fit to Topknots.

Other than that, what has been related is exactly the experience we had - as
I said at the time, truly memorable.

It makes me wonder if any of the bronzewings might ever do the same thing?
That is what I was hoping someone would report back!

still around the Toowoomba location up to last Saturday, 12th August. A
Dutch visitor who went up there today (Sunday 20th) around 7am didn't see
them, but it was a typically misty, moisty escarpment morning and if they
were a little distant they could very easily have been impossible to see.
There are still plenty of flowering gums there.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056