birding-aus

Corvids at Cowans Ponds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Corvids at Cowans Ponds
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 08:09:50 -0700
Hello Birding-Ausers,

In my query about corvids at Cowans Ponds, Grafton I got a bit confused.
(Thanks, Peter W.)

The bird on my original list was Australian Raven not Torresian Crow.
I thought I saw Raven and the suggestion was that I was really seeing Torresian Crow.
However, it looks like everyone understood what I was trying to get at.

In view of the responses I have received I withdraw my claim of Australian Raven for that location.

The thornbill is interesting.
My first inclination was towards Yellow-rumped but I wondered about the lack of defined spotting on the head and the fact that I did not see the bird forage on the ground at any stage over the few minutes I was able to observe it.
None of my books describe immature Yellow-rumped Thornbill.
Do they have spotted head like mature birds?
I have vague memories of 'unspotted' birds in flocks of 'normal' Yellow-rumps.

The light at that stage was not good so it was difficult to get a good look.

Thanks to everyone for the responses,

Bob Inglis
Woody point SEQld,
27 deg 15min 18 sec S; 153 deg 5 min 38 sec E
E-mail:
WWW: http://www.powerup.com.au/~inglisrc