birding-aus

Crediton Field Outing Success

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Crediton Field Outing Success
From: Les Thyer <>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:06:28 +1000
Report of MACBOCA outing to Crediton State Forest 13-8-2000

As our convoy of 3 cars (8 birders) climbed Eungella Range the change in temperature became as obvious as the wind that was blowing the treetops around. So when we pulled up at the first potential Eungella Honeyeater site in the Crediton State Forest we were well rugged up.  Eungella Honeyeaters were seen almost immediately, chasing one another in the tree tops and down through  lower branches then up again through the canopy of Forest Red Gums, Lemon Scented Gums and Bloodwoods, then down to almost ground level through the lantana. For this is winter-nearly Spring, and the Eungella Honeyeaters have left the Rain forest and have been building up on the protein from insects and lerps living in the fringing sclerophyll forests in preparation for the breeding season in September. The almost frantic activity is most probably mate selection as several pairs flew together and threesomes quarrelled loudly and energetically about who should be with who. The air rang with their assertive calls and the 8 of us tried to focus on a particular bird at a time as it hurried from branch to branch and from tree to tree. Often one or two would stop long enough for us to admire- sometimes even close enough, and in the right light, to admire that wonderful lavender eye!
Eventually the magic faded enough for us to to appreciate the other species as well. Yellow Faced Honeyeaters were in there too, Rufous Whistlers and Grey Shrike-thrushes, the White-naped Honeyeater, easily identified by the red eye and even the Brown Quail were calling.
The scenario was repeated at the next stop with the addition of (one only) Little Lorikeet feeding in the flowering Lemon-scented Gums. By the end of the day we had observed 52 species  (list included). Quite a satisfying experience!
Les Thyer

52
Brown Quail
White-faced Heron