birding-aus

PARADISE PARROT INFORMATION

To: Vicki PS <>
Subject: PARADISE PARROT INFORMATION
From: (Richard Johnson)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:16:17 +1000
Hi Vicki and anyone else interested

Vicki's posting casts some light on what is my favourite sentence in HANZAB to
date.
I guess one doesn't think of HANZAB as a source of humour but the writer must
surely have had tongue firmly in cheek when this was written in the account on
Paradise Parrot (HANZAB Vol.4 p.465):
'...and an unconfirmed record by two committed birdwatchers in grounds of Sandy
Gallop Lunatic Asylum...'
Is 'committed' used in the sense of 'dedicated' or 'placed in the care of'?.
With all due respect to the two people concerned (long dead), I like to think
that the latter interpretation helps confirm birdwatching as a peculiar madness!

Richard

--
Richard Johnson
Roma District