birding-aus

Splits and lumps again

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Splits and lumps again
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:23:51 -0700
Hello Splitters and Lumpers,

Have just bought a copy of Michael Morecombe's new field guide:
"Field Guide to Australian Birds".

I've only had a glance through it so far but one thing has struck me (apart from the quite reasonable illustrations and layout):
Michael has done some splitting (sort of) along the lines of, I suppose, Schodde and Mason, The Directory of Australian Birds.
Actually I am only going by hearsay because I don't have a copy of that publication yet......

The birds I have noted so far are Dusky Grasswren/Kalkadoon Grasswren and Striated Grasswren/Short-tailed Grasswren.
I note he hasn't split Restless Flycatcher/Paperbark Flycatcher and White-browed Robin/Buff-side Robin.

As I am still of the opinion that none of these splits have been 'officially' sanctioned, does Michael know something I don't?
Or have I missed something in the passed few weeks?
Or has he jumped the gun in an effort to force the issue?

Please be aware that I don't really mind if these species are split or not.
I don't have the knowledge or expertise to determine what the situation should be.
But I would like to know what the situation is.
I am aware that some people are claiming some of these 'new' species as full species on their 'Life-lists'.

I haven't seen some of the species/sub-species in question and I go into a raging fit when I think other people are getting the 'drop' on me!
I think I'll take a trip to Grafton and Ballina. That should cheer me up.
That is if the rumour that the pintail has departed is incorrect.

Bob Inglis
Woody point SEQld,
27 deg 15min 18 sec S; 153 deg 5 min 38 sec E
E-mail:
WWW: http://www.powerup.com.au/~inglisrc