birding-aus

Call of the white-throated nightjar

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Call of the white-throated nightjar
From: Andrew <>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 20:14:47 +1000
Hi all
The WTN's have continued to call here at Cooran SEQ.  However, today at
17.50 hrs, I was out in a paddock and saw a large nightjar fly over the
house.  There was also alot of calling although I can't say for sure if
it was the flying bird.  It was not a call I am familiar with.  I
haven't read HANZAB.  I did listen to the Field Guide to Aust Birdsong
cassette 6 but the call wasn't on it.  The call was like a very loud,
almost frantic "kee-yaa".  I wonder if the WTN has more repertoire in
its calls than the standard territorial calls we are familiar with and
which are on the field guide tape?  Does anyone have any experience of
this?
Andrew Thelander