birding-aus

Figbirds in western Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Figbirds in western Sydney
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:38:14 -0000
Hi all

One of the first things I heard and saw soon after arriving at work in Guildford (about 30km west of Sydney) was a male Figbird calling ontop of a leafless tree outside our building. After a minute or so, it took off with 2 female Figbirds behind it. I could not see any fig trees in the approximate area and these birds may have been simply wandering around.

Has anybody seen them any west from Guidford. This is as far west of Sydney as I have seen them. Figbirds are common around Sydney CBD and in the lower north shore, eastern suburbs and west to Westmead (about 25km west of Sydney CBD). I have also seen them as far south as Kiama, more than 120 km south of Sydney.

Edwin